Sunday, November 27, 2016

Post-Fight Week & What's Next

Turns out your body adapts splendidly to not having sugar, dairy, and processed foods. The other side of this is, of course, when added back into one's diet, they wreak havoc.

Symptoms: I almost came down with a sinus infection and have been congested. Worst of all, the cool mental clarity I'd been experiencing almost instantly vanished.

It was like when you're driving along and your windshield fogs up. Except it was my primary modus operandi that was fogging up. Back on a clean diet as of today. Made some bomb-ass Indian style food tonight.

Trained every night this week and felt more beat up after two nights of jiu jitsu than I had after the fight. I told this to a teammate last night as we watched the fights and he laughed because IT'S TRUE. Jiu jitsu is hard on the body. Also, during commercials he played John Mayer, Relient K, and Ed Sheeran exceptionally on the guitar. Because those two hobbies go together. We're not your average meatheads.

-

Another fight card was announced for 18 February 2017. The promoter asked my coach if I would fight the same woman again since it was, in his eyes, a good fight. He also happens to be my opponent's coach. While I would prefer a different opponent, if none were to be had I would rather fight again than not at all.

This last week, with the fight over and some spare time for once, I've been considering what direction to go in life more permanently. I keep coming back to how short the time of a fighter is. Jiu jitsu can last a lifetime (somehow... although you might be a cripple) but Muay Thai really reaches a denouement around age 30. There's a lot I'd like to do in the future that wouldn't permit training. Which is okay, but sometimes the timing isn't right and to rush decisions that would be best acted upon in the future can be detrimental if they're made too early. Which sucks, but it creates a mental state of training very intentionally since it's looking like I'll have to enjoy it while it lasts. For the first time, I think I'm actually being honest with myself about where I want to be in 10 years and how I'd like to live my life.

Fighting and training has not given me a purpose to life, but has changed my way of thinking a great deal. Training, to me at least, has been like I think the Church should be for people. Or a family should be. It has been an invaluable way of sorting myself out in ways I thought would take a lifetime.

Since the gym is closed sometimes, or I want to get some extra stretching/sauna/bag work in, I'll go to LA Fitness. This song by Maren Morris has become one of my favorites to hit bags to.

I actually hadn't seen the video until linking it for a listen, but apparently I'm just another basic bitch who loves driving, has bird tattoos and a nose ring, annnnd a soft spot for men with motorcycle troubles.









No comments:

Post a Comment