Friday, July 22, 2011

Weed, Walk, Teach, Lather, Rinse, Repeat


If I shower and if I wash my hair when I do, of course. 

In case you're wondering what happened to "looking up often" and taking photos to post, it's been a busy week and a half. Yesterday I started my job as a teaching assistant (TA) at RIT for a second year class. This guy above is Billy and he's following a long in Photoshop. I think he's following anyway. I have three other part time jobs I'm balancing involving dogs, audio files, landscaping and weeding. 

So I follow this blog Kisses from Katie. Katie and I are both 22 but she's moved to Uganda and adopted 13 daughters while I'm at RIT... teaching 13 American students how to run computer programs and their $5,000+ cameras. 

I'm also reading this book called Radical by David Platt. The first few pages start out with revealing a church had published a bulletin that celebrated their $23,000,000 addition complete with all the nice chairs and stained glass. Right next to that announcement was the fact that they were aware of famine/genocide in Sudan and had managed to scrape together $5,000 to donate. 

Ouch. If you hadn't heard, yesterday, today, and tomorrow thousands of Somalian refugees have run to, are escaping into, and will flee into surrounding countries. Those are the people who were strong enough to survive and make it out to beg for aid and a days worth of food that I could inhale in 30 seconds. 

It's air conditioned in this windowless, gray room of $100,000+ of equipment. I can walk to my car and drive myself back into air conditioning or to Wegmans for food.

Some days I question if I am in the right place and how long I will have to stay here. How could you not put your hands to work when there is hunger such as this?





No comments:

Post a Comment