Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Golf & Hemingway




Combining a couple of oddities in this one. My brother got it into his head that our whole family needed to go to the driving range and surprisingly, we did. He insisted he's normally really good but today, to his ongoing frustration, he left meteorite trails in the green. 

-

Yesterday he also suggested I read The Sun Also Rises and Goodwill happened to have a spanking new copy for $2.99. Here's my favourite part yet:

"Listen, Robert, going to another country doesn't make any difference. I've tried all that. You can't get away from yourself by moving from one place to another. There's nothing to that."
"But you've never been to South America."
"South America hell! If you went there the way you feel now it would be exactly the same. This is a good town. Why don't you start living your life in Paris?"
- The Sun Also Rises, Ernest Hemingway

Everyone needs to figure that out on their own. 
I have sacrificed and I've burned
Oh, you gotta live before you learn
And I wanted the truth, but sometimes the truth hurts.
In My Bones, Ron Pope

It's not a waste for most people to learn things for themselves. It's how and what life is. Learning to love, trying to understand pain, and going away for a while and coming back are things it seems people need to learn firsthand. That said, I'd totally hit up South America in a heartbeat. I've learned you can't get away from yourself, but you learn a whole lot more about yourself and other people getting out of your stomping grounds. 


No comments:

Post a Comment