Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Return of the Phantom Mullet Brother...& Being Different



Okay, okay. It's not a true blue mullet, it's just longer than I had it when I was thirteen. Ick. He's saving that hair to show Mom when he gets back. 

This is Ian. Ian caught a trout in the river today after we all left him there. Glowing with pride, he is! He sliced his toe in the excitement and still walked his arse all the way back to the house. I was rather proud of him when he appeared with his fish. 

__

Yesterday's news...

I am a little bummed the very attractive worker next door never did call to ask me out this weekend. However it was rather overshadowed by the words, "Want to drag on that flat paddock over there?" 

Of course I couldn't resist the chance to race the motorbike. It's so hard to find fun people these days. I actually won a couple times and didn't drop the bike once. What else do grounded, studious, 22 year old women do with their Saturday morning?

Well, have more fun. Like the hour before the race and ride around the paddocks when I watched Adam wrap a strap around scrap plywood, attach it to the back of the motorbike and drag Sam around on it. It's like tubing. In the yard. With scrap wood. Unwilling to miss out, I went and got a helmet and went for a little joyride on the plywood myself. 

You could say I'm filling in the role of "boy". But that's like telling me while I'm cleaning that I'll make a good wife someday. It's sickening. Can't a woman enjoy a good drag race and clean floors without being compared to boys or housewives? 

____

In other news...

I have a theory about living that goes like this: it's okay to be different. Not "everything goes" or the cheesy "we're all different and if we weren't the world would be boring" but honest to goodness, it's okay. I've been called weird more than once or unique and usually, I'm rather proud of it but it's kind of like, "well, you have 'weird' things too and maybe everyone else should be a little less like everyone else." It'd be so much more fun and entertaining. 

 To be different is to be marked and some people have an idea that it's a ruse to get attention (though sometimes it is). Here's my theory: if you'd do it alone in the middle of a desert or if no one else was doing it then it's not for attention, it's just you being you. 

There's a quote I've been thinking of for a few weeks now that goes like this, 

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” (emphasis added)
Marianne Williamson, Return to Love

I'm tremendously fond of that one. When you meet someone from the get-go who's unashamed and unapologetic about being themselves, it either makes you really uncomfortable or more free to be yourself. Ironically, this goes with a couple other quotes in my collection that follow it about being bold. It comes from a January 31, 2012 podcast from North Point Ministries by Andy Stanley (available on iTunes for free). LOVE me some Andy Stanley sermons and free stuff. 


"Bold is deciding to say something when it would be easier to say nothing. 

Bold is taking advantage of opportunities that present themselves.

Boldness is creating opportunities.

 Our threshold for pain and our threshold for discomfort is so staggeringly low.

Some of the rest of us, we're just too busy. We've just gotten too distracted so consequently we're not bold. but that can change, can't it. and it's simple and it's normal and someday somebody will thank you…for being bold."


I could say, "So get out there and be yourself and be bold!" Which is obvious. But if you just think about those things for a while and what that would actually mean, well, I find the initial concept of it frightening, but the potential outcome liberating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment